- Two $1,000 scholarships will be awarded to two applicants pursuing a post-secondary education in an electric lineworker program.
- Any applicant enrolling in a lineworker program or any applicant who can prove they are on a waiting list for the next open enrollment period.
- Preference will be given to FMEC members and residents of Freeborn and Mower County.
- Applicant must complete and submit the scholarship application by May 1st.
- Selection criteria will be based on scholastic achievement, school and community involvement, work history and essay submission.
- Scholarship recipients will receive notification from FMEC.
Each scholarship awarded shall be for $1000, payable in two payments as follows:
1. The first check in the amount of $500, will be paid to the college or vocational/technical school after the recipient provides FMEC with registration documentation from the school.
2. The second check in the amount of $500, will be paid to the college or vocational/technical school after the student/recipient provides FMEC with a copy of the student's official school transcript indicating that the student successfully completed the first semester with a grade point average of at least 2.5 on a 4.0 scale.
Recipients must be enrolled in a lineworker program to begin in the fall of current year. In the event the lineworker program is full and the college of choice is maintaining a student waiting list, the recipient must provide proof in writing in order to hold funds for the next open enrollment period.
The Lineworker Scholarship Selection Committee will consist of three judges.
The creation of this scholarship is a free act of FMEC. FMEC retains its right to alter, suspend, cancel or halt the Lineworker Scholarship program at any time and without giving any reason, provided that scholarship winners, already in college under the program will continue to receive the stipends as awarded.
About Lineworker Colleges: Electrical lineworkers work for utility companies and electrical contractors to install, maintain and restore electric lines both overhead and underground. They work outdoors in all kinds of weather and often are called to restore power that has been severed by severe weather conditions. Training includes knowledge of electrical theory, safety and first aid.
Minnesota Colleges Offering Training In This Field:
Minnesota West Community & Technical College
Jackson, MN - (800) 658-2522
Dakota County Technical College
Rosemount, MN - (877) 937-3282
Minnesota State Community & Technical College - Wadena
Wadena, MN - (800) 247-2007
LUCK OF THE DRAW SCHOLARSHIP
Freeborn Mower Electric Cooperative is offering the Luck of the Draw Scholarship to our membership.
- Scholarships of $1,000 will be awarded.
- Deadline to apply is March 20, 2024 by 3:30 p.m.
- The Luck of the Draw Scholarship drawing will be held Tuesday evening, March 26, 2024, at the cooperative's annual meeting, located at the Albert Lea High School, 2000 Tiger Lane, Albert Lea, MN.
MUST BE PRESENT TO WIN!
- Applicant must be a graduating high school senior.
- Parents/legal guardians must be active members of Freeborn Mower Electric Cooperative at the time of the drawing and reside in our service territory.
- Recipients must be enrolled as a full-time college student in the fall of 2024.
- Proof of enrollment must be presented to FMEC before the funds will be disbursed to the school but does not need to accompany the application.
- In the event the student is unable to fulfill his/her enrollment obligations, the award is forfeited.
Funding is available through our unclaimed capital credit dollars.
Freeborn Mower Electric Cooperative (FMEC) is proud to offer scholarships to Riverland Community College. Scholarships are awarded to children of FMEC members and adult FMEC members who are returning to school to further their education.
Eligibility requirements are:
- To be a current member of FMEC
- To have financial need
- To be a full-time student in any field (non-traditional students encouraged to apply)
For applications or more information click here.
PLEASE CONTACT RIVERLAND COMMUNITY COLLEGE
FOR ALL SCHOLARSHIP INFORMATION.